Deck Plug Repair
By: Brad Gislason
The following procedure works if you have 3/8" or more of deck
More 1/2" teak plugs (or whatever existing size plugs you have).
Exterior glue, I use varnish.
One 1/2" forstner drill bit.
A sharp chisel
A small sanding block W/ 100 paper
1. Remove old screw
2. Remove 1/4" from old screw (or get shorter screw)
3. Chase old hole with forstner and add enough depth to recess the screw head - 1/8" min. (3/16" is better)
4. Put a little varnish (or glue) in hole
5. Install screw
6. Using a Q-Tip work a little varnish around the hole
7. Install new plug (Keep grain aligned)
8. After one day cut off excess plug material with chisel (work with the grain and little cuts) to within 1/32" of deck
9. Sand the balance to the deck level
Enjoy your new "tight" deck.
I will answer any questions that you might have about this project. My e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Return to Baba Maintenance Tips
visits since January 1, 1999